The refrigerator is almost empty. The cabinets are looking scanty as well. The husband is at work, so dinner only had to serve one tonight. Despite all the signs pointing toward a dinner of tuna fish and almonds, I wanted something a little more substantial. In the produce bowl, there was a lone Roma tomato. A small handful of feta sat on the refrigerator shelf. There were eggs, of course, because being without eggs would be…traumatic. Breakfast for dinner, anyone?
Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 serving sausage
- 1 egg
- 1 piece whole wheat bread
- 1/2 Roma tomato
- Feta cheese, as much as your heart desires
- Ground pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- Break sausage into bite-size crumbles and cook over medium-high heat. Set aside to drain on paper towels after cooking.
- Begin toasting slice of bread.
- If sausage did not render sufficient fat, add olive oil to skillet to cook egg.
- Break egg in skillet, and sprinkle with paprika and pepper. Cook until yolk remains slightly runny.
- Top toast with layer of feta, egg, and sausage.
- Dice tomato and layer on top of sausage.
- Finish with another layer of feta.