It took me a week and a half to make this scrumptious, simple lunch. Would you excuse my absence if that were true? It’s certainly not (the lunch took more like 7 minutes), but will you forgive me anyway? I bring a bacon dish as a peace offering.
Bacon is hard to mess up. Asparagus, on the other hand, is so very easy to mess up. Mushy asparagus is one of my food pet peeves. It’s intolerable. I have been guilty of turning a fresh, perky stalk into bland, green mush myself, so now I take a no-fail precaution: the grill pan.
Asparagus & Bacon with Butter
- asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 T butter
- sea salt
- herbes de Provence
- ground pepper
- bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
- Melt butter in hot grill pan, and then add asparagus stalks. Don’t overfill pan.
- Sprinkle asparagus with salt and herbs.
- Cook asparagus for approximately 5 minutes. Move around in pan with spatula, watching until stalks begin to brown. Add pepper just before finished.
- Remove asparagus from pan and immediately cook bacon.
The best asparagus I have ever cooked, without question.
This would make the perfect brunch dish alongside a runny egg and fresh tomatoes. I’m considering cooking an Easter family meal this year because I want to have a full brunch so badly. Is that crazy? It will be like Thanksgiving all over again, though hopefully without the great cranberry spill and the sliced fingers incident.
What are your favorite asparagus dishes? How do you ensure it turns out crisp and not a mushy mess?